When a person asks what is a pebble, what most likely comes to a person’s mind? If they’re like most people, the visual image formed in their minds is that of a tiny rock or piece of sediment. However, in the world of technology, Pebble is a proper noun, and the word to refers to a smartwatch that has become popular on the market in recent years.
In simple terms, the Pebble is a watch built on the concept of customization. Like most smartwatches, it is designed to deliver information from another device directly to the face of the watch. This allows for an unprecedented level of convenience for users. However, there are many people out there who are hesitant to purchase because they’re not quite sure whether or not the Pebble smartwatch is a good investment. Here, we’ll take some time to do an in-depth pebble watch review, digging into what the Pebble has to offer and discover whether or not it’s worth users’ consideration.
The Pebble Smartwatch’s Most Important Features
- Models and Color Options: The Pebble smartwatch comes in two models: Original and Steel. The original Pebble smartwatch currently comes in five colors, including Jet Black, Arctic White, Grey, Cherry Red, and Orange. From time to time Pebble offers a few limited edition colors for the original model which are only available for a short time. The Pebble Steel is available with a brushed metal or black body.
- Materials: The Original Pebble features a scratch and water-resistant plastic body. The wristband on the Original model watch is made of latex-free polyurethane. The bands on the Original model can be replaced with most standard-size bands. Those who choose the Pebble Steel can choose from a brushed stainless steel body or a black one made with a PVD finish. It is available with a metal or leather band.
- Size and Weight Specifications: The Original Pebble measures 33 x 50.8 x 11 mm, and weighs 37 grams. The pebble steel watch measures 43 x 34.1 x 10.3 mm.
- Technological Specifications: The Pebble smartwatch connects to both iPhone and Android devices with 2.1 EDR and 4.0 Bluetooth. The face features four directional buttons: Up, Down, Back, and Select. Pebble supports and receives native SMS, Google Voice SMS, and Google Talk notifications.
The Benefits of Owning A Pebble Smartwatch
Pebble smartwatches are a great investment for tech-savvy people because they are a simple purchase that can reap so many practical benefits for owners. Here’s just a glimpse of how those who purchase a Pebble smartwatch can benefit from their decision:
- Versatile Style: The Pebble smartwatch comes in so many different colors and finishes. Those who prefer something more whimsical will love all of the different colors of the Original watch. In many a pebble steel review, users noted that the Pebble steel was a sleek, elegant option for the office or an outing.
- Convenient Notifications: With the Pebble smartwatch, no one has to pull out their phone to know what’s going on in their world. Call and SMS notifications can be transmitted right to the watch via a Bluetooth connection.
- Third-Party Apps: There are a plethora of third-party apps available for the Pebble smartwatch that allow users to do everything from sending short text messages to controlling their home security systems.
- Great Compatibility: Most people who have submitted a pebble review online have noted how happy they are to have a smartwatch option that works with both iPhone and Android devices.
A Few Important Notes About The Pebble Smartwatch
In general, the Pebble smartwatch is a great option for those looking for something colorful and versatile. With that said, this pebble watch review would not be complete without noting that there are some things that users need to be aware of. Some of these warnings include:
- The Pebble smartwatch is capable of doing some very cool things, but the device is not full-featured on its own. Many of the watch’s most-liked features require downloading an app in order to use them. This can be a concern for those who have a smaller storage limit on their cellular devices.
- This smartwatch currently only works with iOS and Android phones. Although these are the two major competitors in the wireless device market, it’s important to note that those who use a Blackberry, Windows, or Palm phones will not be able to connect to the Pebble smartwatch.
- Pebble can control phone features, but the watch itself does not have a speaker. This means that it cannot make and receive calls. The Pebble can only accept and reject them.
- For those who have Android devices, Pebble only supports the receipt of native SMS, Google Voice SMS and Google Talk notifications. Email messages cannot be received on these devices at this time.
After reviewing the specs and seeing what real users have to say, it seems that the Pebble is a convenient way to get the most essential information without a user having to dig through their bag to find a cell phone or keep the phone close by. As a device that works with both of the major wireless device platforms out there on the market, the Pebble smartwatch is an appealing and useful investment for users who want something that is both stylish and “techie” all at the same time.