Wrist watches have been a lot of things since they were invented by watch repairer John Harwood in 1923. In some cases, they are simply a convenient way to tell time. In others, they are a fashion accessory. To the rich and famous, they have often been considered a status symbol. However, it is only in the 21st century that watches have become something they’ve never been before: smart.
In recent years major tech giants have been in competition with each other to invent the ultimate smart watch, a device that will do everything from telling time to recommending workouts. While some smart watch wearers may be raving over Apple’s iWatch offerings, others have become enamored with Samsung’s most significant offering in the smart watch category, the Gear 2. Read on for a samsung gear 2 review and to find out whether or not it is a worthy competitor on the smart watch market.
Samsung Gear 2: Features
The best thing about the new Samsung Gear 2 is the myriad features is boasts. Here’s a rundown of some of the specs that this smart watch has to offer:
- The Samsung Gear 2 sports a 1.63-inch AMOLED screen that has a resolution of 320 x 320 pixels.
- There’s a 2 megapixel auto-focus camera located right on the device, up from the 1.6 megapixels offered by the previous model.
- The body is made of metal and is IP67-certified dust and water resistant. This device alsooffers Bluetooth 4.0 LE and a 300mAh battery on which to run it.
- There is a 4 gigabyte hard drive and 512 megabytes of RAM.
- There are changeable straps offered in four colors for the gear 2 watch: black, brown, orange, and a brown/grey combination.
- The Samsung Gear 2’s face is customizable, and Samsung offers a variety of screen themes, including analog and digital time faces.
- Samsung Gear 2 users can make phone calls and retrieve messages on the device.
- Users can also receive instant notifications from their Samsung Galaxy phone.
- The samsung gear 2 watch features a camera with video recording capabilities.
- There is a personalized fitness manager on the device, complete with a heart rate sensor and workout tracking application.
- Watch users can listen to music. The watch also connects with Bluetooth headsets for listening.
- There is a WatchON app to control the television and some digital boxes.
Samsung Gear 2: Benefits
Along with a host of great features, there are also a number of benefits that users will reap from owning a samsung gear 2 smartwatch. Some of these advantages include:
Because of the changeable straps and face, this watch can be worn pretty much anywhere and with any outfit. It’s stylish in both casual environments as well as in dressier ones. The IP67 certifications allows users to go into wet or rough environments without worry.
Many user reviews have reported that the Gear 2 is now more comfortable than it was in previous generations. Neither the band nor the face is too bulky.
With average usage, users can go up to three days without having to charge the watch. Those who don’t use their watches often can get away with going charger-free for about six days. This is an added level of convenience for those who don’t want to be tied down to an electrical outlet.
Ease of Use
Most users have found the watch to be very easy to use. Navigating through apps and options is as simple as tapping and swiping, just as it is on most smart devices.
Users love being able to get notifications, answer phone calls, and listen to music, all without having to pull out their phones. They can answer calls with a swipe or tap to ignore and send a text message instead. Music is stored right on the watch’s 4 GB hard drive.
A Few Notes About The Samsung Gear 2
Although the Samsung Gear 2 is a worthy device in terms of design and features, there are a few things that some samsung gear 2 reviews have noted:
- The watch requires a proprietary clip-on charger. Although this is standard for most electronic devices these days, some people have found it a bit annoying to have to carry around an extra piece.
- Some people have reported that the heart rate sensor isn’t always as accurate as it should be. Users need to be careful to remove the plastic cover before attempting to use the sensor.
- There is an app available for Samsung phones that allows users to control the watch’s settings. Some have noted that it is easier to control setting from within the app than on the watch itself.
- There are two other cheaper models available. The Gear 2 Neo does not have a camera, and the Gear 2 Fit does not store or play music.
- The watch only works with Samsung devices and a few third party apps.
Overall, the Samsung Gear’s 2 sleek, stylish design and apps that offer both fun and convenience makes it a worthy purchase. It won’t be of much use to those who don’t own a Samsung device, but Samsung users will be delighted to own one. Whether a user wants to track their fitness fears or lie on the couch watching television all day long, the Samsung Gear 2 is the perfect accessory to their lifestyle.